Saturday, July 31, 2010

Basque-ing in San Sebastian

I have very much neglected this little blog for the past week,as I was a bit consumed with coming back to Barcelona last Sunday and sweet talking all of my friends to let Sari and me crash on their couches. and everyone completely came through and were so wonderful to us! Coming back to Barcelona was almost like coming home. Familiarity, the best metro in the world, loads of people that I love, and of course, patatas bravas (which are sorrily lacking in Boston, I hear). Sari and I stayed with our TEFl friend Carolyn at her apartment, which was beyond amazing of her. She lives about 4 blocks from my old apartment which was somewhat surreal, but I immediately felt myself relax as I realized I knew where I was going for the first time in a few weeks!

Monday was spent in a bit of Barcelona nostalgia( how can you have nostalgia if you have only lived in a place for 4 months? apparently its possible). We roamed around near La Rambla, Gothic Quarter, hit up our favourite gelato place for some wicked tiramisu gelato, and generally just enjoyed the energy of one of my favourite cities on Earth (thus far). We ended up going out Barcelona touristy style that night with Carolyn, her cousin Katie who is also staying at the apartment, and CarolynÅ› Peruvian roommate Liz. We went to the most ridiculous bar called Chupitos which features over 500 different kinds of shots. I think the best was probably the Boy Scout, which featured an exciting method of roasting a marshmallow on the bar and then taking a shot that tastes like butterscotch. A little ridiculous but a hysterical night, and we actually stayed out until 3 AM, I was so proud of myself!

Tuesday was a wonderful chill day, as we went to the Castelldefells beach which is about 15 minutes outside the city but of course we got on the wrong train and ended up in the opposite direction, so 2 hours later when we finally hit up the beach, it was bliss. Loads of gross seaweed and some bratty kids who kicked sand at me, but otherwise a really nice day. I then went back to my old apartment to visit with my roommates and to pick up the rest of my junk, and it surprisingly wasnt weird at all to see them, or to be back in my old stomping ground. I felt.. nothing, no attachment to the place, which is definitely a good thing. I did realize my pack rat tendencies have followed me to Spain as I definitely have an entire suitcase of things I need to go through and throw in the street gutters.

I actually will have to finish this at a later date, as I currently am in San Sebastian, which is a GORGEOUS town on the northern coast of Spain, in the Basque region, and am here for 3 days with Sari and Nate. Hasta luego!

1 comment:

  1. #1. your puns are ridic. and #2. It's totally possible to be nostalgic about 5 seconds ago...let alone 4 months #3. I am counting down the days, min, seconds, until I can hear your beautiful voice again!!!!

    ReplyDelete