Tuesday, August 3, 2010

More San Sebastian fun times- late entry

Ah. Finally sitting in one place, eternally grateful once again for my friend Carolyn allowing Sari and me to crash at her apartment until I leave on Friday. I leave Barcelona for Boston on FRIDAY. Surreal doesn´t even begin to describe it.

I had such an amazing last weekend in Spain, though. Sari and I took a night bus to Zaragoza on Friday and stayed at my friend Nate´s place, and we all valliantly tried to stay awake until our bus ride at 7 AM which was probably a terrible idea as I was super crabby. We then took a bus that stopped in Pamplona (didn´t see any bulls, sadly) and brought us into San Sebastian around 12 on Saturday, and it was gorgeous almost immediately! Our hostal was 2 blocks from the beach, and I think every single other traveler was Australian, with 2 Canadians thrown in. Those Australians are the biggest travelers I have ever met, taking off for 8 month stretches just to see the world, it´s really kind of awesome.

We immediately ran to the beach, which was nestled at the foot of 2 huge mountains, with sweeping views of rolling hills, gorgeous buildings, and a very large Jesus statue, which I didn´´t really figure out. We spent a few hours at the beach which was jam packed and really lovely, and then ended up going pinxos hopping. Every bar has their own pinxos, which are basically little pieces of salmon on a piece of bread, or my favourite- red peppers stuffed with crab or cod MMM. They are always different and always delicious, so that was wonderful. We sampled the nightlife which was filled with dancing to Lady Gaga and Shakira in every single bar we went to, it was a total blast!

Sunday was disgusting, in terms of weather. Cloudy skies, brisk winds, and of course Shannon forgot anything remotely warm, because silly me was expecting SUNSHINE. We ended up stumbling upon a funicular that creakily took us up a mountain to this giant castle that was surrounded by trashy arcade games (why do I always find these places?) We took a random boat ride around the mountain, and otherwise just basked in the lovely landscape that made me want to start singing the Sound of Music soundtrack. The rest of the day was spent roaming more around the city, making dinner and generally chilling out.

Monday was another gross rainy day, but we salvaged it by having coffee and reading, hunting for bracelets, going pinxos hopping, making dinner, playing cards, and eventually somehow ended up going out and dancing again. Really an awesome last weekend in Spain with two of my favourite people. The only downside was the 2 4 hour bus rides from San Sebastian to Zaragoza, and then from Zaragoza to Barcelona. Barcelona is always so ridiculously wonderful to come home to, can't even begin to describe that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment