Thursday, August 5, 2010

from Barcelona to Boston, I've come full circle

Writing this on my last night in Barcelona, trying to ignore the rumblings in my tummy as my "roommates" shooed me out of the house while they make me a goodbye dinner. Today could not have been a better last day. Slept in a bit, headed to the Mar Bella which is the nude/gay/awesome beach where there were HUGE waves and loads of sun, and my friend Lauren trekked out there just to say goodbye to me which meant the world to me. We must have spent 4 hours on the beach, eating bocadillos and drinking Estrella, and stopped for wine and patatas bravas on the way home. I have to still pack and figure out stuff for tomorrow but otherwise, I feel physically ready to go. Emotionally is kind of another story.
Last night I went to a bbq at my TEFL friend Josh's place, and there was about 11 of us there- people that I met through previous TEFL programs and my friends, and it was wonderful. We hung out on a rooftop in Gracia, eating delicious chicken, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob, and drinking loads of wine, and then hit up a Gracia bar called Ehh..? Gracia, and got drinks for free since Josh is such a regular. Very surreal saying goodbye to people, letting go, realizing that at this time tomorrow, I will be on a plane bound for Boston, and meeting Mack at the airport.
I feel ready, i really do. I wasn't before, but finally felt the stirrings yesterday during the barbeque and they've stuck with me. I know I have so much to look forward to going home. I booked my ticket to come home to Chicago from August 17-24, to see my family and friends and to just be at home for the first time in 8 months, and I couldn't be more grateful for that! Plus it will allow me to stop sucking up to my Boston friends so they will let me stay on their couches.
I have to get off this computer, but this will not be my last entry. I think I will need this to work out the transition from my Barcelona life to my new one in Boston, whatever that ends up meaning for me. I'm sad, I'm devastated, I'm excited, I'm nervous, I'm every emotion under the sun, but mostly, I'm grateful for this experience, for the love I've felt here, for having had the courage to come here, and for how I'm already looking forward to my next adventure stateside.

Adios Barcelona, hola Boston!

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written and so heart-felt. It's an honor to be a reader and if you have anytime at all on your visit to Glen Ellyn or your next one, we would love to have a kir with you or whip you up a nice frittata or both. Be well and thank you!

    Carol and Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been such fun traveling with you vicariously. What wonderful adventures and friendships you have experienced. Welcome back to the USA though we readers know you will go a-travelin... again

    ReplyDelete