Saturday, August 14, 2010

Estrella, I found you!

I thought this would feel more strange- sitting on the bed that was once mine, in the room that I lived in for a year and a half, in my old apartment. But it's all slightly detached from me, I feel absolutely no sadness at being back here, or anything like that.
This whole week since I've been back has been a sheer whirlwind- some good, some bad. Friday was overwhelming to the max. 9 hours in 2 planes, going through US Customs, hearing English all around me, attempting to stay awake and alternating between getting teary eyed the farther away I got from Barcelona, and twinges of excitement at being back in Boston and seeing so many people I love.

Friday Mack picked me up at the airport, and I was a bit of an emotional mess. We went to my favourite diner for dinner and I tried to pay in Euros, and said "gracias" about 45 times. Saturday was really kind of nice- took the T into the city and spent some time at the Boston Library (my favourite place) where of course there was a vintage travel poster exhibit, thanks so much. Met up with my friend Julia for a bit then ended up the day with sushi and mostly relaxing. Sunday I went with Mack to a scuba diving picnic, where I rotted on the beach for a good while and felt somewhat lost. I know it's all "part of the transition" and reverse culture shock, but I feel like I lack a community right now, having come from one. It's also mostly that everyone has their own things going on here in Boston and I get back, and I feel like I'm in the way a bit. So many emotions.

Monday I was able to come here to my old apartment as the guy I subletted my place to is out of town for the week (such good luck). Spent the week driving to CT to pick up my friend Meg who is moving to Hungary next week, and she and I hung out in Cambridge on Wednesday and I even found a place that stocks my favourite Barcelona beer, Estrella!! epic find. Drove her back to CT on Thursday, and went to check out an apartment which is going to work out, on my first try! Just a sublease through December but it comes furnished, near BC and in a really awesome big Victorian house.
I'm not going to be homeless!! Finally my life is starting to come together, albeit slowly. I just hate having to rely on other people to let me crash at their places, or help me move stuff, or give me rides, all of that. I'm so excited to head back to Chicago next Tuesday to see the fam, my friends, and to just really enjoy being home in the summer, I think it'll be really good.

Yesterday marked a week that I've been home, and while things have become a bit easier, I still feel very unsettled. I know it will pass but its just rough at times. I'm glad the weather is gorgeous today as I'm going to go to a used bookstore and a long stroll, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment