Saturday, June 26, 2010

Adeu, Madre!

Back to being solo in Barthelona. My mama and her friend Maryanne left yesterday after a whirlwind couple of days here with me in Barcelona. So fabulous to show them this wonderful city, completely fell in love with it over and over again.

Tuesday brought gorgeous weather, and after a lovely spread of breakfast at their hotel, we set off to Parc Guell to hopefully beat the crowds. It was so tranquil! We didn't spend a whole lot of time there but just enough, and it was really nice to actually go back there one last time. We then went to get some killer hummus and then did a wee bit of shopping in the Ciutat Vella area near La Rambla. I had to jet to go teach the two little boys for a bit and then they met me at my metro stop and I showed them my apartment, and we had copas of vino for 1.10 Euros/each, which continually blows my mind!I also took them to my favourite bar in my neighborhood with this really jolly bartender who gives you a free tapa for every drink you get, it was lovely. We then trekked back to Dino's Gelats for some stracciatella and bonbon gelato, it really rocked my world, and didn't help my gelato problem one bit.

Wednesday was a paradise of a day yet again- no humidity and about 75 degrees. We met at Montjuic and hiked up that big mountain to get to the Joan Miro museum. Joan Miro was a somewhat whimsical sculpture/painter who used all these vibrant colours to express himself, and the museum is really tranquil and the views from it are just outstanding. We then walked down through this lush garden and ended up getting kebabs in the Poble Sec area of Barcelona, which is very diverse, lots of Middle-Eastern restaurants around, had never been there before. We tried to then find a bar with the USA game but apparently everyone is an England fan and no one was showing the USA game, so we had chocolate and churros on La Rambla instead, much better. Ended the day with dinner at an outdoor place with jenny and then followed that up with 4 cups of red wine for 6 Euros total (seriously, I am going to be in sticker shock when I get back) and more gelato.

They left Thursday morning to head back to Paris, which was kind of sad, I wasn't used to being by myself! but then I had a lovely beach day with Jenny followed by nachos and canas at our fave beach locale. It was our last day just the two of us, as her parents are arriving and I'm prepping to leave in less than a week, to go and meet up with my mom in Paris. Surreal. But a good surreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment