Monday, April 12, 2010

Alright class, get out your crayons, it's time to colour

About to embark on my first day of teaching! I have a group of 8 5 year old who apparently love arts and crafts, so hopefully this goes smoothly. A bit nervous, as I feel like I'm a wee bit rusty after having not taught for a few weeks, but I'm heading to the language academy early to go over everything with the director, Eva. Keep you posted!

This was a whirlwind of a weekend ( but I'm realizing this statement is written about every weekend, almost). On Friday, my roommates Marcelo, Ana and I went to Monjuic, which is this really beautiful mountain-y thing where there's the MNAC (Art museum of catalunya) and also all the olympic stuff from the 1992 Olympics. Marcelo was meeting a friend to go rock climbing in this crazy tunnel place- open to the public, you can bring your own gear and then climb on the tunnel ceiling and walls! I'm going to try it eventually but Ana and I preferred to meander around the hills- there are beautiful views of Barcelona since we were so high up, and it really wasn't that far from our apt. I like getting to know my roommates better, they've been so welcoming- Ana and I are on about the same level of Spanish and it's interesting to learn more about her- she's 22 and has been married for almost a year! We're planning on doing some sort of intercambio where I teach her English and she teaches me German. I apparently have a slight obsession with Romantic languages.. ah well!

Met up with my friend Nate who was staying with me for the weekend and we headed to this weirdo karaoke bar in the middle of nowhere where all of a sudden like 17 people that I know through my own TEFL course or the TEFL course in Jan, all showed up! It was kind of fun, being in a huge group of people, but also exhausted me. Then we went to the Villa Olimpica place, where I'd swore I would never go again- and went to some bars there, and ended up having to walk about 2 miles to a metro stop to wait until it reopened at 5 AM since it was only 4 AM. A bit ridiculous? you bet.

Saturday was a gorgeous day, so we made some lunch and then hit La Rambla so we could go back to this amazing little tea place I found called La Clandestina- you can even get hookah there for very cheap! Then we meandered through La Boqueria, that huge food market where you can buy everything from a pig's foot to pineapple for 1 Euro. The evening's festivities began with watching the super important Barca vs. Real Madrid football match, in which Barca WON so everyone was super excited, and we watched it at the biggest Irish pub in Barcelona, George Payne, which was really fantastic. Then somehow someone wanted to have a house party (am I in a teen movie) so the same huge group of 20 people went to this party, and after a while I needed some major air so a few of us walked down to the beach, and I immediately felt rejuvenated.

Spent all day Sunday at the beach, in the sun, sans sunscreen since I'm an idiot, apparently. It was already so crowded in April, there's no way I'l be coming to this beach during the summer! But still glorious to soak in the sun and be near the water, I feel so lucky to be near the sea all the time.

Tomorrow is... my birthday?! I'm celebrating during the day by going to Sitges, this nearby beach town where my friend Lauren just moved to be an au pair, and its supposedly beautiful. Then I'll come back and teach, and then hopefully see a bunch of my friends for some celebratory drinks. Feels weird to be out of the States for this one, but I'm sure it will be lovely.

Onwards to teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment